Saturday, June 22, 2013

making lists



What follows is an approximation of the last few weeks, not recorded daily.

6 June
Leaving Kaitia.  Lunch at the Mangonui Fish Shop, which Lonely Planet claims to be one of the best fish n' chip joints in the whole country. It's great, but they haven't tried our fish n' chips recipe.  

Hike to Rainbow Falls in Kerikeri.  Attempting a daring scramble to the luring cave behind the falls, only to give in to safety precautions and forgo the narrow, slippery rock ledge.


7 June
Next day, my 24th birthday.  Dear god that sounds a lot older than I feel.  In my mind I may always remain 19.  Impetuous and carefree.  Canceling appointments just because I can't handle the commitment.  Alas, I'm a grown-up, making grown up decisions, like, where oh where shall I celebrate my anniversary of womb escapage?  

I do my best to recreate my placental palace of origination by spending the day soaking in geothermic hot pools.  Unlike my solo stay in utero, I am joined by two dear friends, Jamie and Martha.  We spin in lazy swirls, sometimes inverting ourselves for a hand stand contest, sometimes sitting in contemplative silence, perhaps like a turkey would whilst soaking in its own juices before the oven is too hot to scald.   

Photo: Sina
A reunion of sorts transpires at the pub near KP, a surreal flashback to 3 weeks earlier.  So much has happened in that time, but our friends are still there and it feels that no time has passed at all.


8 June
Today, 8 June, technically, it's still my birthday in the states.  So technically, I can still celebrate the day in which I came to be.  

And what better way to do so than with barbecue, beer, and an All Blacks match.  A lively pre-game party at Oakland's Lodge precedes our front row seats at the NZ v. France showdown. Rugby players are fit as fiddles, and there's no bulky padding to hide their sinewy calves and burly biceps, nor are there helmets to mask their rugged tough-guy features.  Anyway, I digress.  The match is heaps of fun even though I haven't the slightest clue what's happening on the field.  NZ All Blacks win 20-13.  But the night's not over yet!

Ever been to a rave sober?  Neither have I.  I guess it's not really a rave, and that's not to say I'm totally buggered.  Just enough of a buzz from the All Blacks victory and a touch of tequila to dance on the roof of the old barracks that are currently housing a secluded psy trans dance party.  Not only can I hear the techo-esque beat, but I can feel it rising up through the concrete into my core.  If you've ever seen me dance, sober or otherwise, you know it's something akin to a hydrocephalic chimpanzee running across hot coals.   

But the last thing I am is ashamed of my rhythmless white girl moves, especially tonight, when I've got the entire city of Auckland lit up in the palm of my hand, the whip of the ocean breeze at my face, and enough adrenaline to keep my body in motion 'til at least four in the morning.  I've got Jamie, Anne Marie, Martha and Mea, gal-pals extraordinaire, as dance partners to boot.  Dance as if no one is watching?  Don't have to tell me twice.  

9 June
Two hours of sleep in Tin-Tin in the Mission Bay Yacht Club car park is just enough to allow my brain to take in the glory that is Tiritiri Matongi Island.  A conservationists' wet dream, the island was a desolate over-grazed dust lump until it was purchased and revegitated in the 1940's.  Today it's home to countless endangered and threatened bird and reptile species, including, but not limited to, the elusive Kiwi, the scarce Kokako, and the ancient third-eyed Tuatara.  We spend the day immersed in Syd's (our volunteer guide) rendition of Tiritiri's rich history as well as it's charming fauna and fascinating flora.  The day, and birthday weekend, concludes with an eagle ray sighting, a full-on conked-out nap in Tin-Tin's warm belly, and traveling tips from hunky Germans.  Not too shabby for an old maid.

Male Stitchbird

Red-crowned parakeet
Male Bell Bird
View form Tiritiri to Auckland

Saddleback

Takahe
Syd leading us on a guided tour
Eagle Rays
Photo: http://wanderingjamie.blogspot.com

360 view from the highest point on Tiritiri
Photo: http://wanderingjamie.blogspot.com


11 June
Head South…  Head South… Head South… Rotorua… Rotovegas?  Nearly empty in the winter.  Weird vibes.  Not for us.  Head South… Whakarewarewa Living Thermal Village.  An old Maori village, still occupied by elders, located on a mini Yellowstone, geothermically speaking.  The tour is splendid and I'm fascinated, haunted, pleased and smiling throughout.  It sounds cheesy and totally contrived when I describe it, and maybe it is, but this place has been giving tours to the public for over 100 years, so at least a herd of fanny-pack toting tourists with expensive cameras on the 'auto' setting just sort of blends in to the every day din that is Whaka life.  Best described through captioned pictures, really.

Communal Bathtubs
Doing the haka
Photo: Jamie

Jamie learning a poi dance
 


 12 June
Hike up Rainbow Mountain for 360 vista of Lake Rotorua, steaming geothermal pools, conic volcanic mountains (Mt. Ruapehu, Mt. Ngauruhoe & Mt. Tongariro) covered in powdered sugar.
http://wanderingjamie.blogspot.com



photo: http://wanderingjamie.blogspot.com
We continue  to hike to Kerosene Creek.  And suddenly the most interesting thing happens.  We magically transform into water sprites, nude faeries splashing about in a naturally warm river pooled out at the base of a waterfall.  I close my eyes as the spray droplets tickle my peach fuzz and dig my toes into the sandy bottom to steady myself against the current.  By definition, a geothermal river is warmed by the internal temperature of the earth, but it's still a surprise when my hands, feet, and bum are instantly shocked by the intense concentration of heat seeping up through the sand from the magma lurking not too far below. It's a grounding experience.  I can feel every wave pulling and pushing on my bare skin, I let it guide my movements, too much a part of it to fight it.  Each grain of sand is sensed, and the infinite harmony of water pounding on water drowns out any thoughts threatening to bubble up.  We become nudists on strike just in time to avoid an encounter with a curious couple keen on plunging into our faerie pool.

Not quite satiated, we follow a tip from the hunky Germans and locate a local secret where a boiling river meets a cooler creek, just under a bridge down the road from a pricey walled-up thermal pool joint.  Quite certain we've soaked our bones in the best Rotorua has to offer without a price, we retire to a remote campsite a few km south of Taupo.  The stars are endless.
  
13 June
I can imagine the conversation going something like this:  "You mean to tell me you girls are in the trout capitol of the world and you're not going to at least cast a few?"  To which the response would have to have been: "We'd love to, but we haven't got any of the necessary equipment."  I don't know Papa Feuerstein all that well, but I do know he's an avid fly fisherman and no daughter of his is going to spend a few days in Lake Taupo and not try her luck at reeling in a big juicy one.   

Photophoto: http://wanderingjamie.blogspot.com
So here we are, waist deep in freezing river water, thank goodness for the waterproof overalls, with Brett as our trout messiah. It's pretty meditative, really, casting and recasting, watching, waiting, striking, reeling, casting again.  After I've got the motions down my mind quiets and any inkling of despondency is washed away with the current.  Whether I catch a fish or not, I've learned a new fishing knot and the basics of casting and handling instruments, and I've channeled the same sort of reflective contemplation I've experienced while practicing archery.  I can see now why spending a day on the river trawling for trout would do the soul some good.   

And then it happens.  Jamie's landed one.  She squeals and yelps and Brett is by her side, waiting for the right moment to net 'em.  Her delight is palpable as the big moment comes to inspect her prize.  It's a rainbow trout, a male, a big one, 2.7 kilos Brett reckons.  Not 10 minutes later I feel a pull that results in a slightly smaller, shiny female rainbow.  The fruits of our labor.  Incredible.  Such an incredible day!  Thanks, to say the least, Papa Feuerstein!  You've just invested in two upcoming expert anglers, triumphant trawlers, fantastic fisherwomen!

Jamie's got a big one!







14 June
Early in the day we pack up from a restful night at Reid's Farm to pay a visit to the grand, the mighty and the powerful Huka Falls. 




We're transfixed by the maelstrom of force and strength that embody the great chute.  Not to mention the intense sapphire blue of the water.  We linger, drawn to the vigor and energy of the place, writing postcards and drinking hot coffee from an aluminum can, until at last, the times comes.

For today is the day.  This, the 14th day of the sixth month in the year of our lord two thousand and thirteen.  This, the day on which Jamie fulfills her destiny, scratches from her bucket list, and experiences first hand the glory that is… HOBBITON!  It's everything she's hoped for and more, from what I'm told.  She's happy, and I'm glad.  Read her blog for all the scintillating details.   

I, however, opt for the short but strenuous hike to Wairere Falls, the highest falls on the North Island.  It's been a warm, sunny afternoon and my skin glistens with sweat by the time I make it to the lookout.  And there I behold the cascading sheets of water glistening with the light of the sinking sun as each drop plunges over 150 meters and terminates in a deafening white spray.  I chase the sunlight back along the steep winding path, nipping at its heels until I emerge where I began, only a gentle mist has covered the landscape in a blanket that only allows a few trees a view of the sunset.  My own private Hobbiton of sorts.  

I meet Jamie and Anne Marie at the i site in Matamata and my elven ally and I stride north, back toward Auckland, where tomorrow she will fly the familiar skies and return to the northern hemisphere for the next 6 weeks of summer, only to return as winter really kicks off in a little country known to some as Aotearoa.

Alright, folks, from here on out there aren't heaps and gobs of action and adventure.  So if you're not keen on reading deeper into my exposed personal psyche as I spend the next leg of the trip up the Coromandel Peninsula, then don't bother reading on.  I'll let you know when it gets exciting again.  If you are intrigued by my lone (but not lonesome) thoughtful wanderings, then, by all means, continue.

16 June
View from my bedroom at Wayne's places
I reckon books would prefer to be read by candlelight.  The warm light that spreads like honey over every page.  Washing it in a glow reminiscent of the days when books were the embodiment of knowledge and candelabrums the only source of enlightenment after sunset.  And that worn, musty smell an old book acquires with age and use, I imagine they wear that musk like a badge of honor.  Books take on a personality of their own under the gleam and flicker of a wick alight.  

I lay my story closed for the night, blow out my torch, and gaze out my tower window at the stars that peak out between storm clouds.  It's winter in the Coromandel so Wayne, my newest WWOOFing host, and I hunker down and toast our muesli concoction, prepare a wicked good thai curry pumpkin soup, he strums his guitar and I awkwardly pluck my ukulele, and we both have a laugh at the synchronicities of life.   

I reckon I'm gonna like it here.  With Jamie back in the states I'm already battling bouts of home sickness.  Longing for the familiar.  But with Wayne's 100% off the grid repurposed materials home, his far-out organic sculptors,  his superb healthy cooking and stellar faerie-like garden, plus a good sense of humor, kind eyes that twinkle with each smile, and an open heart, I think I'll get along just fine.

17 June
Day trip to Coromandel Town with Wayne and Kathi.  A light stroll around the City Centre, enjoying window shopping and a cup'a at the cafe.  On the way home Wayne's hawk eye sights an Orca pod of 6 just off the coast!  We pull over and watch their massive black fins slice through the waves.   

Back at home the clouds bugger off and Wayne and I hike up along the clear, babbling spring to bleed the water hose lines.  (Letting air out of lines so it can flow freely down stream to the house).  "The louder the water, the quieter your mind."  So true Wayne, so true.  We spend the afternoon weeding & mulching the garden beds.   

Just before dark Wayne, Kathi, Ruby and I venture up a nob hill for an evening of Kiwi listening, part of the conservation duties held by Moehau Environment Group members.  A quiet sit, but for the three male Kiwi shrieks, under the stars with new friends.  The moon is bright enough to illuminate the great Karuna falls waterfall in the distance. 

18 June
A solid day's work at Buddhist Monastery, Mahamudra.  I weed garden beds, then assist Wayne in fixing a broken stair step.  We then fill potholes with rocks & shells shoveled heartily from the local beach.   

Lovely lunch at the Green Snapper Cafe.  Some nasty weather closes in & I read, take a nap & catch up with Dad in my tower room.  Delightful fish, salad & mashed pumpkin & kumara for dinner.  Wayne plays guitar while I do dishes.   

Earlier, we're driving after picking aromatic flowers and I turn to him and say, "I feel really happy here."  He smiles that eye-twinkling, red-cheeked smile that juices your eyes right up and responds, "It shows."  I almost do tear up because it's true, I am happy here.  Content, relaxed, at peace.

19 June
It's always the little things that feel like big things, eh?  Like watching a kid's concentration as she carefully plants a sapling, a spontaneous lunch with new friends, reading after dinner on the floor next to the wood stove.  Every day feels meant to be.  I'm washed with a sense of serenity as I move through the hours.  Once a year M.E.G. hosts a native tree planting day for the Colville primary school.  


We greet 16 kiddos at the car park and make our way to the tree planting site.  I meet Natalie, M.E.G.'s coordinator extraordinaire, an inspiring woman in her late 20's with flawless light skin and blue eyes you could drown in.  I watch her mouth move when she talks, I like the shapes it makes, and I like the words that come out.  She's humble, but I know she's earned every bit of her respectable reputation.  I want to pick her brain, absorb even a sponge full of her knowledge, but I don't know just how to go about it.  Ah well, I've got time.  That's something I don't feel short on.


The clouds hold off long enough for me to get my hands right filthy.  The warm, wormy soil merging with the pores and lines of my palms, filling the spaces under my fingernails.  Rows of garlic, peas & toksoi in Wayne's garden and flax & cabbage trees in the bush with the kids.   

Natalie wants to pick my brain about what I've learned as an environmental educator, and Shannon tags along.  I feel like an impostor.  Who am I to be dishing on EE when she's the one with the lengthy degrees and experience?  I let it go and we chat freely.  I've got a lot to teach and even more to learn.  Wayne, Shannon, Natalie and I enjoy a nice lunch and a hot cup'a, happily singing away the afternoon like tipsy Tui birds. 

20 June
It's a reminder.  No.  A wake up call?  Not quite.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, but being here at Wayne's has given me something.  Something intangible, but solid.  Something I needed more than I thought I did.  A feeling that lets me be.  Just be.  Down with "should" and "ought to."  My anxiety and concern with the goings and comings of the world has skipped town.  Slipped away quietly into the abyss and didn't bother to leave a farewell note.  Fine, because I'm perfectly content to dig in that garden bed, finish a new book in two days (I Am the Messenger, a must read), clean up after dinner, and paint that sign.   

Kiwi listening is cancelled due to winds that threaten to take the house with them and enough rain to fill a gum boot.  Fine, I'm pleased to eat a bowl of Irish stew by the fire and read my book and listen to Seal.  Tranquil, satisfied, can't be bothered.  These feelings won't last forever.  I'll eventually get ants in my pants and say goodbye to Wayne and his red cheeks, eyes full of laughter.  Goodbye to his gardens green and his wood sculptures and his generosity.   

But for now I'll float here, in my cozy bed with a window for a wall that lets in the morning light playing on the clouds while the Tui sings and the sun burns the haze off the trees.  I'll float here, awash in my daze of realization that I am me, and that's enough.  I'm not the smartest or the skinniest or the prettiest or the strongest or the funniest or the cleverest or the most talented.  But I am me, and I am special and I have worth.  And it's okay to just be that, whatever it is, alone or surrounded or somewhere in between.  And that's how I've stopped every creeping apprehensive thought from squirming into my stream of consciousness.  Screw what I "should" be doing.  I am here, being me, doing this, and I feel fine.
 

Extra photos from the All Blacks match:

Anne getting Mea ready!
My birthday cake!  Thanks, Jamie!

Both sides come together for food and drinks
New Zealand supporters
Yum!
Group Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment